Being prepared is one of the best sources of protection, especially when it comes to something as serious as a car accident. Continue reading to discover the most common causes of car accidents in Maryland, the steps you should take following a car accident, and the statute of limitations for auto accident claims in Maryland. If you have been injured in a car accident, do not hesitate to reach out to our experienced Maryland personal injury attorney today to learn about our services and how we can assist your future claim.
What are the most common causes of car accidents in the state of Maryland?
There are many behaviors and situations that may cause a car accident. Some factors may also come into play when an accident is caused such as road conditions, weather conditions, and more. However, the most common cause of car accidents in Maryland is driver negligence. The following are the most common causes of car accidents, each of them caused by negligence:
- Distracted driving
- Texting while driving
- Drugged driving
- Drunk driving
- Failure to follow traffic signs
- Driving while tired or fatigued
- Failure to yield
What steps should I take after being injured in a car accident?
It is very important to have a plan if you have been injured in a car accident. Following the below steps can make a huge difference in your safety while also boosting your chances of compensation should you chose to take legal action:
- Call 911. The police will be able to conduct a police report and redirect traffic to create a safer environment for everyone involved.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible. Collect all medical documentation relating to the event that should include the date, time, and severity of your injuries.
- While you wait for fo the police and medical assistance to arrive not eh scene, if possible, take photos of the scene of the accident including damages done to the vehicle and any property involved.
- Take photos of your injuries.
- have a short and polite conversation with the other party involved to collect their insurance information.
- Collect any witness’s contact information.
- Retain the services of a knowledgeable personal injury attorney who will work to satisfy the burden of proof in a personal injury claim to recover the compensation you deserve.
For most accidents, a Personal Injury Protection or PIP is put in place in Maryland to support injured drivers who have been involved in an accident as a form of insurance to provide financial support with no regard to fault. This will provide coverage for any lost wages or medical bills caused by the accident.
What is the statute of limitations for auto accident claims in Maryland?
The statute of limitations for personal injury claims in Maryland is generally three years. This means that you will have three years from the date of your accident to take legal action. After three years have passed, you may be barred from suing. It is important to take action as soon as possible by reaching out to our Maryland personal injury attorney today to discuss your options.
Contact Us Today
Our firm understands how overwhelming the claims process can be, which is why it is our job to handle the entire legal side of the matter while you focus solely on what matters most: healing. We know the ins and outs of the claims process, and we are ready to put our knowledge and experience in the field to work for you. Contact The Dorsey Law Firm today to schedule your free initial consultation.