How Do I Document My Damages After My Car Accident?

Let's Get Started
On Your Case

taking photo car

It can be stressful to be involved in a car accident. But what’s worse is the injuries and damages that you may be suffering in its aftermath. Continue reading to learn how to document your damages and how an experienced St. Mary’s County car accident lawyer at Dorsey Law Firm can help you in doing so.

What damages can I recover after my car accident?

The damages that you incurred from your car accident may be both economic and non-economic in nature. Regardless, you may require compensation to properly heal from them. This may be made possible via a personal injury claim. Below is a list of both economic and non-economic damages you may recover with a successful claim:

  • Economic damages:
    • Medical bills.
    • Lost wages.
    • Car repair damages.
    • Other property damages.
  • Non-economic damages:
    • Pain and suffering.
    • Chronic pain or disfigurement.
    • Emotional trauma.
    • Loss of consortium.
    • Diminished quality of life.

How can I document my damages after my car accident?

As the plaintiff of a personal injury lawsuit, you carry a burden of proof. This responsibility means that you must submit a satisfactory amount of evidence that links your injuries and damages straight to the negligence of the other driver, otherwise known as the defendant.

Probably the most important piece of proof that you may submit is photos that you took while still at the scene of your accident. These photos should capture all the involved cars’ license plate numbers, along with their makes, models, and colors. They should also paint a picture of the overall scene of the accident, with detailed shots of the location and its immediate surroundings, any noticeable skid marks on the road, any severe weather conditions,  any hazardous road conditions, and more.

With that being said, it may be in your best interest to document your damages in the additional ways:

  • Ask for a copy of the accident report conducted by the law enforcement officer at the scene.
  • Ask for a copy of the surveillance camera footage that captures your accident playing out.
  • Ask for oral or written testimonies by present witnesses who saw your accident playing out.
  • Ask for oral or written testimonies by loved ones who have seen how your accident has affected your day-to-day life.
  • Ask for a doctor’s note that highlights the date and time in which you incurred your injuries, along with their severity.
  • Make copies of your medical bills that highlight the cost of your injuries.

Evidently, some of these pieces of documentation may be easier to obtain than others. But if you are ready and willing to kickstart your personal injury claim, then employ a skilled St. Mary’s County auto accident lawyer today. We look forward to working alongside you.