Philip H. Dorsey’s family has been a part of Southern Maryland for generations. Phil was born and raised in St. Mary’s County, attending Ryken High School before graduating to Boston College to study political science in 1974. After graduating Boston College with honors, Phil attended the George Mason University School of Law, earning his Juris Doctorate in 1982.
While in law school, Phil clerked with the law firm of Stiller, Rhykus, and Smith, P.C. for 3 years, representing clients such as the Fraternal Order of Police, and assisting in Criminal defenses. Phil practiced with them for six months before returning to St. Mary’s County.
In 1983, Phil established the Dorsey Law Firm in Leonardtown, and has since handled over 100 jury trials and thousands of cases.
- Maryland Association for Justice
- Maryland Bar Association
- Mary’s County Bar Association
- Ducks Unlimited
- Delta Theta Phi Legal Fraternity
- Fraternal Order of Eagles
- Poltroons Rugby Club
- Maryland National Capital Builders Association
- Legislative Affairs Committee of the Maryland National Capital Builders Association
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D.
- Boston College, 1974-1978, B.A.
- Member of St. Clements Hundred Board of Directors, 2007 to Present
- Member of St. Mary’s County Agricultural, Seafood & Forestry Board, 2012 to Present
- Peer Review Committee, Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, June 2012 to Present
- Member of St. Mary’s County Economic Development Commission, 2014 to Present
- Member of St. Mary’s County Rural Preservation Task Force, 2008 to 2012
- Appointed to the transition team for Maryland Attorney General Elect Douglas B. Gansler in St. Mary’s County, Maryland, November 2006
- Member of the Governmental Affairs Committee, 2002 to 2014
- Mary’s County Chamber of Commerce, 2000 to Present
- Sub-Committee Chair, Suburban Maryland Builders Association, Unified Land Development Code, 2000-2002
- Distinction as a Founder of the Maryland Association for Justice (Eagle), 1995 to Present
- Member of the Maryland Association for Justice Legislative Policy Committee, Current
- Member of the Maryland Association for Justice Bike Helmet Committee, Current
- Professor, St. Mary’s College, 1983-1988, Business Law
- Board of Social Services for St. Mary’s County, Maryland, 1983 to 1988
- Member – St. Mary’s County Comprehensive Plan, 1986-1990
- Past President of the St. Mary’s County Bar Association, 1985
- Trustee – Jefferson Patterson Park Museum, 1994-2001