Unfortunately, you may sustain serious injuries while visiting a business or public place. If property owners do not maintain a safe environment for their patrons, they could be held liable for any damages that occur as a result of their negligent actions. When this type of accident occurs, victims are legally entitled to file a premises liability claim. If you have been injured while visiting a business or a public place, contact an experienced St. Mary’s County Slip and Fall Lawyer who can help you seek monetary compensation for your economic and noneconomic damages.
What steps should I take after sustaining an injury while visiting a business or public place in Maryland?
- Seek immediate medical attention. If you sustain an injury while visiting a business or public place, you should call 911. It is imperative to have your injuries treated by medical professionals even if they seem minor. Unfortunately, some injuries may not be visible or have delayed effects. If left untreated, these types of injuries could turn life-threatening.
- Notify the property owner. It is imperative to alert the property owner or manager of the incident. This step will not only effectively document that accident but help prevent this incident from occurring again and injuring another patron.
- Gather evidence at the scene. Being injured in a public place can be an overwhelming experience. However, it is important, if possible, to collect as much evidence as possible of the hazardous conditions that caused your injuries. If you can, you should try to take pictures and videos of the scene. For instance, if you slip and fall because a business neglected to place proper warning signage making patrons aware of a hazardous condition such as a wet floor, you should document it. This step can help you establish fault and prove negligence.
- File a police report. To record the incident, a police report is essential. Oftentimes, victims leave the scene before the police have arrived at the scene. This is a huge mistake because not only can this help document the accident, but police officers can take witness statements. Witness statements are extremely helpful as witnesses can help corroborate your claim as they witnessed the events of the accident unfold. You should gather any witnesses’ contact information as they could be valuable to your case later on.
- Retain the legal services of a qualified St. Mary’s County slip and fall lawyer. If you have been injured while visiting a business or a public place, it is imperative to take legal action as soon as possible. With years of experience, a skilled lawyer can help you navigate the complexities of a premises liability claim. In addition, they can help investigate the circumstances of the accident and ensure you file a claim within the right time frame to seek compensation for your damages.
In the unfortunate event that you have been injured while visiting a business or public place, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with one of our determined and adept team members. Our firm is committed to helping our clients take the right steps after a devastating accident to ensure they have an opportunity to seek compensation for their damages.