In Maryland, property owners are responsible for keeping their premises safe at all times. This includes taking proper security measures. If a property owner does not have adequate security, serious accidents can occur as a result. Read on to learn more about inadequate security accidents in Maryland and what to do if an injury occurs:
What are examples of inadequate security?
Some of the most common examples of inadequate security include:
- Failure to have security cameras installed
- Not having working surveillance cameras
- Failure to properly train security staff
- Not enough security staff
- Having insufficient lighting in walkways, stairways, and other areas
- Poorly maintained landscaping
- Broken locks and unlocked perimeter doors
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
If you are injured due to inadequate security, you may be able to hold the property owner responsible. In order to do so, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. You can do this by:
- Calling 911
- It is important to call the police after an accident occurs. The police can send an ambulance, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and more.
- Documenting the scene
- While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, be sure to take pictures and videos at the scene. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtaining witness contacts
- If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. This can play a large role in a personal injury case, so ask for their name and contact information.
- Seeking medical attention
- It is important to go to the hospital even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain a serious injury without realizing it. Additionally, this can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Working with an attorney
- An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including police reports, security camera footage, etc.
If you were injured due to another party’s negligence, our firm will advocate for you every step of the way. Reach out to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
Contact Us Today
Our firm understands how overwhelming the claims process can be, which is why it is our job to handle the entire legal side of the matter while you focus solely on what matters most: healing. We know the ins and outs of the claims process, and we are ready to put our knowledge and experience in the field to work for you. Contact The Dorsey Law Firm today to schedule your free initial consultation.