Injuries can happen anywhere, at any time, including the grocery store. In fact, there are countless ways to sustain an injury while shopping. If you are injured in a grocery store, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more.
How do grocery store accidents occur?
Something as simple as a spilled container of food can cause life-altering injuries. This is because the majority of grocery store accidents are slip and falls. These accidents are commonly caused by:
- Spilled produce
- Spilled liquids
- Merchandise falling from shelves
- Shattered glass
- Poorly placed floormats
- Spoiled food
- Leaking freezers
- Broken shopping carts
What do I do if I am injured in a grocery store?
If you are injured in a grocery store accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, interview witnesses, and more.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance to arrive, it is important to document the scene. You can do this by taking pictures and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. As a result, it is important to ask for their name and contact information.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to seek medical attention, even if you do not believe you have been seriously injured. This is because it is possible to sustain an injury without realizing it. Additionally, going to the doctor can provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. This can play an important role in a personal injury case, so it is important to ask for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- File your claim on time: In New Jersey, the statute of limitations for a personal injury case is generally two years from the date of the accident. Failing to file within two years will likely mean losing your opportunity to recover the compensation you need and deserve. To avoid missing this deadline, reach out to a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.
If you have been injured in a grocery store accident, our firm is here to help. Reach out today to discuss your case with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
Contact Us Today
Our firm understands how overwhelming the claims process can be, which is why it is our job to handle the entire legal side of the matter while you focus solely on what matters most: healing. We know the ins and outs of the claims process, and we are ready to put our knowledge and experience in the field to work for you. Contact The Dorsey Law Firm today to schedule your free initial consultation.