Do I Have a Case Against My Landlord if I’m Hurt in My Apartment?

Let's Get Started
On Your Case

interior design apartment

Your home is supposed to be your safe sanctuary from the world. Your home is where you relax, let your guard down, and can feel 100% comfortable. Unfortunately, if you rent your living space, you may find that your landlord isn’t living up to his obligations to his tenants. When something goes wrong or needs fixing, it’s typically the landlord’s job to fix it. If the landlord fails to do so and someone is hurt in their apartment, they may have a valid injury claim. Please continue reading and reach out to our experienced St. Mary’s County slip and fall lawyer to learn more about apartment accidents and how our firm can help if you’ve been hurt in one.

Can I sue my landlord if I’m hurt in my apartment because of unsafe property conditions?

If you were hurt in your apartment because of unsafe conditions, such as disturbed asbestos, unclean drinking water, the absence of smoke/carbon monoxide detectors, unsafe stairwells/elevators or otherwise, there’s a strong chance you will have a valid personal injury claim. However, you will have to prove that your landlord either knew or should have known about the unsafe conditions (e.g. he was notified of the safety hazards), you were hurt because of your landlord’s neglect to remedy the issue, and you sustained significant damages as a result.

Bolstering Your Injury Claim

To prove you were injured because of your landlord’s negligence, if you can, you should document evidence surrounding the incident. Pictures/videos of the unsafe conditions/the accident, medical documents, police reports, and witness statements are all strong ways to help prove a personal injury claim. Of course, you should never go it alone, even with the appropriate evidence in your possession–an experienced Leonardtown personal injury lawyer can help you effectively navigate the claims process in pursuit of your compensation.

What can I be compensated for if I win a personal injury claim?

If you’re injured and win a premises liability claim, you may recover compensation to cover the cost of economic and non-economic damages sustained because of your accident, such as the cost of lost past and future wages, medical bills, pain and suffering, and more. Our firm is prepared to fight for the maximum compensation to which you are entitled. Simply pick up the phone and call the Dorsey Law Firm today.

Contact Our St. Mary’s County Firm

Our firm understands how overwhelming the claims process can be, which is why it is our job to handle the entire legal side of the matter while you focus solely on what matters most: healing. We know the ins and outs of the claims process, and we are ready to put our knowledge and experience in the field to work for you. Contact The Dorsey Law Firm today to schedule your free initial consultation.